In light of this year's historic presidential election, we wanted to document a little of what we did on Election Day.
With Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream speech" 45 years ago, this is a monumental event to have the first black president of the United States.
However, we missed all of the goings on as they were broadcast on the TV because of our own little adventure. Since Sunday afternoon, Lillie started getting a little more fussy than normal, so we had to take her home early from church to find that she had a temperature of 101. We gave her tylenol and ibuprofen for the next two days, which was not that easy. She began to vomit on Monday afternoon almost every time she tried to eat something or refused to eat at all, and when her temperature got up to 103 (on both ibuprofen and tylenol) on Tuesday afternoon, we decided to take her in to the emergency room. In being the curious med student that I am, I looked in her ears before going to the ER to see if there was any ear infection, but with my untrained eye, I wasn't completely sure that it was clear. After ER docs and pediatricians looked her over, they found no localization of where the infection was coming from. So, they did a urinalysis and blood draws to test her. She was mildly dehydrated and wasn't able to keep any fluids down, so they poked her little arm and tried to get an IV, but she couldn't hold still, so they put her in an arm board and poked her hand instead. She received some Saline over the next two hours. Here are a few pictures of our ER visit.
After six hours of being in the ER, we were sent home having hope that she could hold some fluids down (but mostly really hungry and tired of being in the ER for so long.) So, now that it's two days later, Lillie is feeling much better (she is playing on the floor right now, which she hasn't done at all since Sunday because she would only sit in our laps or be asleep). She still has a slight fever, and some difficulty eating, but she's getting better and it shows. They told us that it was most likely some type of GI viral infection, so hopefully it passes soon.
With Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream speech" 45 years ago, this is a monumental event to have the first black president of the United States.
However, we missed all of the goings on as they were broadcast on the TV because of our own little adventure. Since Sunday afternoon, Lillie started getting a little more fussy than normal, so we had to take her home early from church to find that she had a temperature of 101. We gave her tylenol and ibuprofen for the next two days, which was not that easy. She began to vomit on Monday afternoon almost every time she tried to eat something or refused to eat at all, and when her temperature got up to 103 (on both ibuprofen and tylenol) on Tuesday afternoon, we decided to take her in to the emergency room. In being the curious med student that I am, I looked in her ears before going to the ER to see if there was any ear infection, but with my untrained eye, I wasn't completely sure that it was clear. After ER docs and pediatricians looked her over, they found no localization of where the infection was coming from. So, they did a urinalysis and blood draws to test her. She was mildly dehydrated and wasn't able to keep any fluids down, so they poked her little arm and tried to get an IV, but she couldn't hold still, so they put her in an arm board and poked her hand instead. She received some Saline over the next two hours. Here are a few pictures of our ER visit.
After six hours of being in the ER, we were sent home having hope that she could hold some fluids down (but mostly really hungry and tired of being in the ER for so long.) So, now that it's two days later, Lillie is feeling much better (she is playing on the floor right now, which she hasn't done at all since Sunday because she would only sit in our laps or be asleep). She still has a slight fever, and some difficulty eating, but she's getting better and it shows. They told us that it was most likely some type of GI viral infection, so hopefully it passes soon.Here are Anna's thoughts:
Lillie has never been a cuddly baby, only a few times in her short little life has my daughter ever rested her head on my shoulder. She also loves to nurse (I don't know how I am going to ween her). So on Sunday when all she could do was rest on me and was refusing to nurse I know something wasn't quite right. When her temperature began to get out of control and she stopped sweating on Tuesday I have never been so scared.
It has been a hard couple of days for me being a new mom and never having my daughter sick like this before and the visit to the ER was awful. I have never in my life had a problem with needles, I always watch as they put a needle into my own arm, but it broke my heart to watch as two nurses and Mike held my baby girl down to stick her. She had already been so miserable for the past few days this was just too much. I had to leave the room holding back tears. The doctor reassures us that we made the right choice to take her in and have her put on the IV, but I would rather not have had to gone through the whole thing.
7 comments:
Poor Baby!!
She's not even my baby and it made me sad to read it :(
Oh my goodness. So, so sorry. Poor little girl.
When you were a baby (I want to say 15 months) you were put in the hospital because you were sick and dehydrated. I remember sitting with you over night one night (so mom could go home and get some sleep). You were up and crying the whole night. I couldn't comfort you at all and you hated the IV in your arm. It broke my heart that you were so sick and so sad.
I bet you don't remember that at all. And sometimes when my kids have to go through hard times and pain, it helps me to know that they won't remember it. It is still hard for me, but they will be okay.
I am sorry! It is hard to watch your kids suffer! I am glad she is doing better.
poor baby Im glad she is doing better
We had an ER experience with Abby that was sad... but didn't have to do an IV. Sad. But even through that, I'm sure you were able to enjoy the cuddles a little :)
It does make you appreciate the general good health. Some kids aren't so lucky...
So sorry to hear about your experience. Hopefully she is doing better now and is back to her normal self. Samantha had a fever when she was 6 weeks old and we had to take her in and get an IV. An experience like that is really mentally and emotionally taxing on a parent, sorry to hear that you had to have that experience.
http://byudymocks.blogspot.com/2007/11/our-trip-to-hospital.html
Post a Comment