2 weeks ago on Monday I took Sam in for his 18 month old check up (more on that later) at his check up he also got a flu shot. Afterwords I tried to get him down for a nap but he wasnt having it, though he really needed it. So after about 45 minutes of him crying I decided I would try to lay down with him. I have been doing this with my kids since Lillie was little; to crawl into the crib with them and lay down with them so I can just sneak out after they are sleeping, that is if I don't fall asleep next to them. This probably only works because we have a comfortable crib that can hold a high capacity of weight. Anywho, while in Utah Sammy learned how to get out of a crib so we invested in a crib tent to keep this curious little guy safe. After about 15 minutes of laying down with Sam he was starting to get sleepy Lillie came to find us. She quickly climbed into the crib and before I noticed what she was doing, mostly because I was half asleep by this point, she zipped us all into the crib tent. Let me tell you, those things are really made to keep people inside, including moms. We were stuck in the tent for about 45 minutes of Lillie crying "We are going to be stuck in here forever, I wish daddy was home," Sam going back and forth between Lillie and me doing what he likes to do best: pulling our hair to make us scream, and me trying to pick at some of the net's stitches with anything I could find, which wasn't much, thus making pretty much no progress at all before I realized I could use the prongs on my ring. It took me another 30 minutes to pick through the layers of stitching that were on the pocket where the zipper was. Then we were free. Mike didn't come home for about 3 or 4 hours after we were free so I am so glad I finally got us out. I know this story makes me look like a bit of a dumby but I now think it is a bit funny and I wanted to share it.
On another note of disasters, we had an earthquake that same week. It was a 5.8 on the richter scale and only lasted about 15 seconds or so. We had a few things fall of the walls and shelves but nothing serious. It was the worst earthquake around the DC area in a hundred years. I know of a lot of people that were shaken up by it and there was minimal damage done to the area and only a few people had very minor injuries, but it didn't seem to affect us much more than Mike being home late because of the Metro running at extremely slow paces of 15 miles an hour and a new train coming every 15 minutes as opposed to every few minutes at much faster speeds. A lot of people got off early from work and many things are closed down today to make sure all the buildings, especially schools, are structurally sound. Too bad that didn't include Mike.
Then last weekend we had hurricane Irene come through the area. We are far enough inland that we weren't affected much. We had winds that got up to about 40 MPH and a lot of rain; our lights flickered a little in the middle of the night but for the most part we were okay. We feel so blessed we were protected; there were hundreds of thousands of people who lost their power for more than a week and there was a lot of flooding in many areas just east of us.
That week was quite an adventure in itself and man what a story.

1 comment:
Okay I know that was probably a pain to get out of that crib, but that is a funny story!!! Thanks for making me laugh. And now you know first hand that the product works :)
Post a Comment