Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valen "times"

So my sister Sarah has a blog about the silly words we say as kids. Well I still say Valen-times day.
Anyway when Mike and I were dating I really wanted to do something special for him. He served his mission in France and had talked about how he loved having French cheese with bread and fruit. So for Valentine's I planned to have a picnic with crackers, cheese, grapes, other fruit, and good old Martinelli's, the Mormon champagne. My mom let me use this cool picnic basket she never used. Had it all planned until the day came and it was 15*F outside and probably snowing. So I set it up in the front living room of my apartment. It was so fun that we did it again the next two years while it was still freezing outside in Utah.This year in DC/Virginia it has been in the 50's and 60's lately except for today and the rest of the weekend when it is supposed to be in the 40's. But, we decided to be adventurous anyway and take our Valentine's picnic outdoors this year. It was a blast and we loved having our little one to keep us company this time without her just sitting in a little swinger, out of the way. We had sandwiches, ritz crackers, brie, port salut, apple-cranberry Martinelli's, grapes and pluots. For dessert we had grasshopper cookies. The park we went to for the picnic was right next to the river and it was surrounded with trees, which was very beautiful. It also had a playground, so we took Lillie over after we ate and let her crawl up the slide and go down the stairs (she got it backwards, but she had fun anyways) and giggle with the cute hispanic girls running around and talking to Lillie in Spanish.
It was a perfect day and I am so grateful for the time we had to spend together as a family. I love my husband and my daughter. We hope everyone else has a Happy Valen-times Day TOO!!!

2 comments:

sarah louise said...

Cute post! What a fun tradition. Happy Valen-times day!

Geneen said...

I don't remember if I told you this before but I was born in DC (well, Fairfax really) and I remember going to this park, it might have been called Giants Park or something. Anyway, it had huge sculptures of parts of a giant sticking out of the ground, like his head, hands and feet. I remember that it was so cool. Maybe you could find it because I know Lily would love it. I'm glad you have such a sweet Valentine! We had 4 inches of snow for Valentines Day this year. Imagine walking in high heals and a skirt through that!