Thursday, March 12, 2009

WHAT A WEEK

Monday
Two weeks ago we took our car for its safety inspection. They told us the front shocks were leaking and they needed to be replaced. This would have cost us a substantial amount of money, we wanted a second opinion. So, on Monday, we took it to a mechanic that a few people in our ward suggested and said they were really reliable and honest. They then examined our car then told us the transmission was cracked, the mounting that holds up the transmission was broken and they really didn't see how it was still in the car, both headlights needed replacing, and many other important things needed to be fixed. They gave us a quick estimate of thousands of dollars for repair to just pass the safety inspection. We only payed that much for it to begin with... We know how stupid it is, and we even knew at the time, but we bought our car on e-bay. (Just after we paid for it the battery died at the gas station on the way home, it was all down hill from there.) This was some pretty stressful information; that we basically needed a new car.
Tuesday
I have been working for a family watching their two girls after school for the past few months. Their father has a great job working for the government and their mother, who already had a masters degree, decided she wanted to go back to school pre-med and study to become a doctor. Well, when I arrived on Tuesday their mom had told me how much their girls loved having me there and how much they like Lillie. I was feeling pretty good about this job.
Wednesday
In the morning Lillie was playing and fell into a dresser, smashed open her lip, there was blood everywhere. It was one of those times you just feel like a bad parent because something like this happened to your child. I got things cleaned up, got her calmed down, and put her down for a nap. About a half-hour later I got a call from the mom I work for. She told me they don't want me working for them anymore and I should come by and get the money she owed me. When I came there was no explanation.

I was so confused the family had never said anything to me about anything I did wrong, they just fired me without any understanding. I have never been fired from anything and every past employer I have had in my life has always made we feel like I am the kind of person that goes the extra mile. I found this job really easily so I am not worried about finding another job, but I feel terrible and I wish I knew what happened. It was almost like getting dumped (and I got married to never have to feel like that again. (not the only reason)).
Thursday
We sold our car to a car dealership and got an amazing deal on a used car (we'll put pics later). I know it sounds kind of weird buying a car the day after someone loses their job, but after the money we got back from income taxes and the trade-in for our old car we are just paying a small fraction of the value of this car. We will have it payed of completely in a few months and now we don't have to WORRY about our engine falling out when we drive.

These past few days have been hard on me, but I really am just so grateful for Mike he is such a pillar in our family and he keeps us all standing. I love him so much and even though these aren't the hardest things we have faced, or will face, they make me appreciate Mike that much more.

3 comments:

gretta said...

man that dose sound like a hard week
I hope next week goes better for you
love ya

sarah louise said...

We just had our car fall apart 3 times in 2 months and spent loads of money to fix it, so I understand how frustrating that can be! Sorry!

Also once a few years ago I was babysitting this little boy every morning until his mom got home from working graveyards. I watched him for a couple of years and was really good friends with his mom. One day he just didn't show up and without a word of explanation she started taking him to another neighbor. She never talked to me again and I never knew why. It was weird and confusing. It did feel like being dumped. Even now I don't understand how or why it happened. I loved that little boy and we never had any problems. So I didn't understand what happened. That stinks that you have to go through that.

I think you are awesome! Sorry you had a bad week. Love ya!

Geneen said...

Car troubles...ugh! I know how you feel! Since we have bought our car (last March) we have put in almost as much as we paid for it in repairs! And it was a good car to start with! Ridiculous. I'm glad you got a good replacement though. Gotta love tax returns for the poor people with kids! Ours was great. I'm sorry about your job. Hang in there. I know how it goes for your kids hurting themselves. Eloise fell off a chair at enrichment last night in front of everyone, so embarrassing but there was nothing I could have done. You're not a bad parent when your kid gets hurt, I promise.