Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mike's Tribute to Moms

I'm generally not a very sentimental person. It's probably because I'm a guy. Sometimes, I wish I were more so, except when I'm around other guys. I was at the med school's Donor Appreciation Ceremony earlier today and I was sitting next to a few guys from class. A speaker mentioned Mother's Day and how some of the Anatomy Lab Donors were mothers, grandmothers, etc. At one point, I felt my eyes getting watery, but then realized I was surrounded by guys and couldn't let myself get caught with tears in my eyes. In any manner, it made me realize how I do appreciate mothers and their extremely special and important role in my life. I love my mom and believe I will never understand the sacrifices she has made to make my life a pleasant one, but I know I am the person I am today because of her. Thanks mom. And thanks be to her mother, Evelyn Frandsen, (after whom Lillie received her middle name), for helping my mom become who she is. I love you. I am also grateful for my dad's mom, my grandma, who has outlived more husbands than any woman should ever have to, and has still stayed strong and found joy in life. Thanks for your example of enduring to the end. I love you too.
Next comes the mother of my children and all those mothers in her life that have helped her become the way she is. I love you all. I am grateful for times when we find Lillie in the bathroom like this:
With toilet paper everywhere and an empty roll on the wall and all Anna could do was run for the camera and laugh. I love you. Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: